|Note:||This is the article for the HTML5 version of the chat, if you wish to see the Flash Player version, click here.|
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change my name, picture or home page?
To change your display name, click on it at the top of the user list on the right-hand side of the chat.
- Enter the name you would like to use (using your real full name is not recommended).
You can add your own personal avatar where it says "Avatar" after having clicked on your name.
- To add your own image, simply upload the image to an image hosting website. Imgur is one of these, and seems to work well throughout different browsers.
- Get the direct link of the image that you have uploaded and paste it into the area that says "Avatar" (Click your name to see the Avatar field) then press "OK".
To add a home page, insert the URL below the field for status.
How do I get my own chat?
Can I delete my group?
To delete your chat group, hover over "group" at the top right and click "customize", enter the group password and go to the "miscellaneous" tab and click "delete". Once you do this, you will receive an e-mail with a link that will allow you to confirm the deletion of your chat. Click on it and your chat information and ownership will be successfully deleted. All information that ties the chat to the main owner will be erased from xat, and the group will be immediately put up for purchase. If you want to re-gain ownership of a deleted chat, you will have to purchase the chat group from xat.
In the case that the chat group does not become immediately buyable, users may create a ticket under the help department of "Short names and groups" and request that the chat be put back up for sale. You must be a paid user to do this.
Can I change my chat group name?
Unfortunately, you are not able to change the name of your chat group. You are able, however, to change the capitalization of the group name. To do this, hover over "group" at the top right and click "customize", enter the group password and go to the "Settings" tab and change the capitalization of your chat's name in the "group name" box. Otherwise, you can make a new group. To make a new chat group, click here.
How do I find other people to chat with?
Is there anything I'm missing out on?
- Find out what's new at https://xat.com/news.
- Add sound effects to your messages at https://xat.com/audies.
- Follow xat's official twitter for power releases and more.
What are xats/days?
xats are xat.com's official currency. To buy, click the "get xats" link on the smilie line or click here. Days are how long you're subscribed, which allows the use of smilies in your avatar, glitter effects, and lets you use powers. For more info see xats guide.
What are powers?
Powers give you special abilities in the chat. These include blocking private chats from people you don't know, making your "pawn" different colors, create categories in your friends list or even allowing for more smilies and hugs. For more info see Powers.
Note: You need days to use powers.
How can I stay safe online?
Read Safety for more information on how to stay safe online.
What do the colors on the visitors and friends list mean?
For a full list of the pawn colors, you can refer to the Users Guide.
What are those hats on some users' pawns, and how do I get them?
- For a baseball cap, type (hat#t) in your name. To change the color, add # then the color code after it. For example, to make a blue baseball cap, you need the Blue power and type (hat#t#b). For a purple baseball cap, type (hat#t#800080) or (hat#t#rrb). You don't need color powers to use hex color codes such as #800080.
- For a top hat, type (hat#a) in your name. You can customize colors the same way as the baseball cap.
- For a small egg on the left side of your pawn, type (hat#e). If you don't have Allpowers, the egg will be black by default. If you do have allpowers, it will be golden. You can change the color to whatever color you want, similar to the other hats.
- Note: If you have Allpowers enabled and your pawn has the golden egg, you can not color it unless you disable allpowers.
- If you type (hat#g), you will have a black gift on the left side of your pawn. You can change the color to whatever color you choose to, similar to the other hats.
- Note: You can only use this hat if you have received at least one gift! If you have not received at least one gift, (hat#g) is turned into an egg instead of the usual gift.
How many friends should I add?
You can add as many friends as you like but there is no point in adding everyone you ever see, only people that you will want to talk to again. If you want to search for a specific friend in your friends list, just go to the friends tab and type their display name or ID.
Can I erase my entire friends list at once?
Unfortunately, you can't erase your entire friends list at one time; you need to unfriend each user one by one. If you don't mind making a new account, you can do that and erase your entire friends list. If you want to make a new account, hover the "account" tab in the upper right corner, then click "logout". Once you confirm that you want to logout, go to the main page and click the "register" button at top right. You can then register this new ID to make a new account.
How do I retrieve the password to my xat account?
Go to the xat login page and click on "Lost password" near the top.
How do I retrieve the password to my xat group?
Hover over "group" at the top right and click "customize", then click "forgot password?". Your password will be emailed to the email you created the group with.
Note: If you request a temporary password, xat will always e-mail you the same serial password until you change it to something else.
What is $tealth mode?
$tealth, or stealth, is when owners or main owners put the character "$" (dollar sign) in front of their name. This makes them look like a guest (pawn is green, and it doesn't say "Owner" or "Main Owner"). An owner in $tealth still has the ability to use all actions without revealing their rank. This is ideal for chatting with suspected rule breakers and seeing how they react to users who aren't mods/owners.
Note: Mods or owners can click on your name and see that you can't be kicked or banned, and will know that you're an owner in disguise.
What if I'm locked out?
These are known as "pools" around the xat community. Pools appear when your chat has 60 or more users, to prevent too many users in one chat at once.
- You can also get pools on your chat group by purchasing and assigning Banpool and Rankpool powers to it.
Please be sure you're typing in lowercase letters. "(GLOW)" won't work for Nameglow, "(Hat#t)" won't work for Hat, "(BUMP)" won't work for Bump, and "/AWAY" won't work for away.
What if somebody is breaking terms?
If a user is breaking terms, click their picture and click inappropriate at the top or hover the xat's logo in the bottom left and click inappropriate. If a chat broke terms, hover over "group" at the top right and click "inappropriate". Do not report users or groups without a valid reason!
- If you've been scammed, report the user via ticket instead.
How do I reset my ID?
BEFORE FOLLOWING THESE STEPS, MAKE SURE THE ID IS REGISTERED OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK!
To reset your ID, hover over "account" at the top right and click "logout". Once it's done, a new ID will be generated and you can click "login", if you want to log in a existing account, or "register", to register the recently generated new ID.
What does "promoting" do?
Promoting your chat puts it on the xat.com homepage and Group lists. It attracts a lot of users towards your group.
- Note: Please abide by promotion guidelines! See Promotion for more information.
To promote your group, click here.
What if the chat name I want is taken?
If the chat is inactive for 90 days or more or if its previous main owner deleted it (i.e. deleted all information that ties the chat to them), you may purchase it here.
The price of a given chat group is affected by 2 factors:
- Generally, the price is higher for more common words as the chat name.
- The longer a chat has been inactive, the less it costs to acquire it.
Why is there a minimum limit of 10 characters for registered names?
Registered names are typically 10 characters minimum (18 max) to allow you to be creative. If you want a shorter name, go to the short name store.
What are the official chats?
Check out Chats article for more information about official chats.
How can I get help with something else?
Any notable anniversary celebrations on xat?
- Launching of xat chats - 17 September
- xatech - 20 September
- Trade chat - 18 January
- Ajuda chat - 28 May