This networking site, known as xat, was created to be a fun, social place for everyone. However, there are some users who unfortunately come online with bad intentions of inflicting some type of harm on others. This guide is here in order to give tips and advice to help you be safe online.
- You should never give out your personal information to anyone. (Including cell phones, emails, passwords, etc.)
- You should use a nickname, not your real name. Try using one that doesn't attract the wrong attention. (An appropriate one.)
- You should never agree to meet someone from the internet. Remember they are strangers and be careful who you trust.
- You should not include any personal information on your xatspace profile.
- If someone is making you feel uncomfortable, place them on ignore by clicking their name and clicking the Ignore button.
- Do not click links from people you do not know, it could be an attempt to steal your information.
- Most importantly overall, be careful who you trust, some people do not have good intentions.
Ignore & Banning
If you stumble upon a user who's making you feel uncomfortable, you may click their name and click Ignore, or if you are in a Private Chat with them type /t this also places them on Ignore. This blocks the user from sending messages to you and unless you're a moderator or higher, you can not see any messages they send in the public chat.
If the chat has rules about the stuff the user has said to you, please contact the moderators or owners of the chat (listed by a white or orange "pawn" beside their name), by clicking their name and clicking Private Chat or Private Message.
- Note chat moderators/owners are users just like you and may take awhile responding! It's also up to them to decide what action to take.
If you're a moderator or owner, please make sure the rules state that what the user did was not acceptable in that chat, then take appropriate action.
If all else fails, you always have the ability to find another chat on xat.com/groups.
xat runs on a secure server and all information you give to us is safe in the database. Anyone who makes any hack threats cannot get any data including passwords.
You can secure yourself by ignoring / banning and most of all not clicking any links they give you. Some of these links may be to Phish you. Always use safe precautions before clicking any link somebody gives you, especially people you do not know.
If somebody is using bad language, you may ignore them to stop receiving these messages. You can also click your name, and check "Hide inappropriate words". This will automatically replace any bad word with symbols and a gray background, to show that a bad word was used. Clicking this symbol will show the bad word, so only click if you're ok with viewing inappropriate words!
If you find a chat that has inappropriate content in the background, description, or anywhere on the chat, please confirm that it is in violation of our terms of service, and if so, click "Inappropriate" at the bottom right of the chat box and fill out the information. This will send a report to xat and we will take appropriate action.
If you find an inappropriate xatspace (the profile you see when clicking a users avatar), please click "Inappropriate" at the top right, and fill out the information.
This will send a report to xat; just like reporting an inappropriate chat and we will take appropriate action.
"What if a xat staff member was rude to me?"
Please ensure that the user was infact xat staff, as if they were being hateful, chances are they are not xat staff. Mouse over their name, if it says "NOT xat staff!", then they of course are not. Real xat staff do not and will not use "undercover accounts" to chat with you.
If they want to prove to you that they are xat staff, they will go on an account that says "xat staff" when you mouse over their name.
Further Safety Information
The guide you have just read covers how to stay safe on xat.com. You may also want to check out these sites which has info on general safety tips which can be used on all sites, including xat: