xat.com allows you to create a chat for your site / profile. Read this guide for information on chat groups.
For information on embedding groups, click here.
What's so special about a Group?
Groups have the following features:
- Ability to appear on xat.com lists (you may remove yourself from lists at any time via a "settings" panel).
- 6 pages of HTML formatting, perfect for making rules etc.
- Custom backgrounds on the page your xat chat is on.
- Custom xatframe on the page your xat chat is on.
- Comments system (OPTIONAL), to allow members and higher to leave comments on your chat that never disappear (unless you delete them).
- A "reset" option, to remove all ranks except yours.
- A "get main" option, to make yourself main owner.
- Ability to make anybody else a Main Owner by:
- using the "main owners" panel, entering their username or ID, and clicking "add".
- giving them the password to your group.
- Ability to set custom permissions for main owners using the Main power.
Sounds great! How do I make one?
Click here if you would like to create a group.
You must fill out the information on the group creation page.
"Your name" Used to personalize the "Activation required" and "Moderator report" emails. Instead of "Hello user," it can say "Hello Bob,".
"Group name" Your group name. This is also used for your special group link. For example, if you type Lobby, your link will be xat.com/Lobby. Choose wisely, group names cannot be changed after.
"Group description" Appears under your group name on the groups list, and on the chat link.
"Password" Your password is something only YOU know, so make it complicated (yet something you'd remember), so you can edit your chat group at any time.
"Tags" Used for search engines etc., for example if your chat was about board games, you could make tags like chess, checkers, connect 4, etc.
"E-mail" Please put a VALID email. It's required to activate the group, and to retrieve your password if you happen to forget it. E-mail addresses cannot be changed after, so make sure you insert a valid and permanent one.
Once you fill this out and agree to the rules and terms, click "create". Then check your email for the activation link!
Note: The official chat groups of xat can be found here.
If you are making a chat group to attract others, then you may want to consider making your chat group a bit attractive. This can be done several ways, all adding up to successful chat groups with lots of users. Here are a few ways to attract users:
- Make or find someone who makes custom backgrounds for your chat to make it look more professional (try the forum).
- Base your group's topics on something most people can relate to. For example, https://xat.com/trade is a place where users can trade xat's currency, powers etc.
- Try to make your chat group's name one word. Chats that are named_like_this are often hard to remember.
- Promote your chat group on xat's main page. The price depends on the chat group's language. For English, it costs 100 xats per hour. You will be responsible for keeping your chat appropriate during the promotion. Other groups may be on promoted alongside yours.
Purchasing a pre-existing chat group
It is possible to obtain ownership to a chat group that was created by another user. However, said chat group must be labeled inactive for 90 days before being eligible for purchase. During these 90 days of inactivity, the chat group must not be edited in any way by the main owner, and must not record any chat events.
Once the chat has been deemed inactive, a banner will appear below the chat that advertises the sale of the group. Once you click on the banner, you must enter your xat username and your password. Once you press "Get Cost" and then "Buy", the group will be transferred to the e-mail account associated with your xat account.
Please note that at this time, the only form of currency accepted for purchasing an inactive chat group are xats.
Note: If you purchase a group and it becomes inactive again, another user may be able to purchase the chat group from xat.
If you wish to purchase a chat group but receive the error Not available (6), you must open a ticket under the "Short names and Groups" help department, assuming you are a paid user and would like it.